Usability - Productivity - Business - The web - Singapore & Twins

Lazyweb: What is the correct translation for "Multiplex Platte"?

My study is equipped with two Ikea Jerker computer desks. The Jerkers were great as long as SWMBO and I were the only constant users. However now " The Gentlemen" use the equiment increasingly often, so the Jerkers have to go and make space to a bespoke solution. Being a carpenter's brother I have direct access to good advice (unfortunately too far away for actual work). We decided on make and material. Then I hit the wall: What is the correct English translation of " Multiplex Platte"? It is a layered plywood panel, but I only got a blank look from the local carpenter I asked here. So I have tow questions: What is the correct English translation and (for my Singapore readers): where can you get them in Singapore?

Posted by on 26 September 2009 | Comments (4) | categories: After hours


  1. posted by Tony Austin on Saturday 26 September 2009 AD:
    Stephan, it's widely referred to as "plywood" -- see { Link } -- and I wonder why your Singapore carpenter was so puzzled.

    3-ply is the basic, most common (cheapest, nastiest) form of plywood, above which strength increses with more layers or "plys" (4-ply, 5-ply, etc). The word ply also applies to strands of yarn, string, rope, etc.

    The WW2 de Havilland Mosquito British fighter-bomber comes to mid as one of the most famous plywood (or "wood composite") aircraft, see { Emoticon smile.gif Link }
  2. posted by Richard Schwartz on Sunday 27 September 2009 AD:
    To be more precise, I think that this is referring to "veneer-core plywood", as opposed to "solid-core", "lumber-core".

    To get your point across, you might want to refer to it as "cabinet grade" or "furniture grade" hardwood plywood.

  3. posted by Stephan H. Wissel on Tuesday 29 September 2009 AD:
    @Tony, @Richard
    Thx for helping. The carpenter was puzzled, since they only work with entry quality plywood. The stuff you put laminate around to make a kitchen. He never had (so I understood from him speaking Chinese) the request to have furniture grade visible plywood. Understandable since he is specialized on kitchen. I might need to look for a different one.
    Emoticon smile.gif stw
  4. posted by Richard Schwartz on Tuesday 29 September 2009 AD:
    If he has the right tools for cutting laminated panels, there's a pretty good chance that they'd be ok for whatever cutting he'd need to do with hardwood plywood. But still, it's different enough that you might do better with what we would call a "finish carpenter" here in the US. That is someone who builds custom cabinets and shelves that are built into the design of a room (other than kitchens and bathrooms). Such a person would be very familiar with hardwood plywood.